Tuesday 1 January 2013

Self Unloader LEE A. TREGURTHA (Part 1)




My eldest daughter, Kelly said 'Dad, you got all these pictures of boats, why don't you write a blog'. I did, and since my first post in April, I've published 136 more including this one, and just under 5,000 of you have taking the time to look at my photos of boats and how they have affected me. Thanks for that and to those you have sent me a note, like Joe who as boy used to spend his summers with his dad on the old Lake Erie sandsucker, CHARLES DICK, or Janet in Virginia who now has a better understanding via my blog of what the fishing tug LINCOLN R does, a ship she photographed during a boat cruise through the Welland Canal & Port Colborne. And then there's the enjoyable notes and boat photos that have been sent to me by my new friend, Jim Moyer in Maryland who have given me a few extra subject to post this winter. 
Here are some photos that Jim took of the American self unloader LEE A. TREGURTHA heading downbound entering and passing through the Poe Lock in Sault Ste. Marie, MI in the summer of 2010. The 826' TREGURTHA has been sailing on the Great Lakes since 1961 though she was original built at the Bethlehem Shipbuilding & Drydock at Sparrow Point in Baltimore, MD in 1942 as the Mobiloil tanker SAMOSET before being acquired by the United States Navy and renamed USS CHIWAWA (AO 68). There's so much to tell about this great ship and it will have to wait until my next posting in a few days. Meanwhile, take care and Best Wishes to All in 2013.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your blog and photos. I see your photos more than your blog due to time restraints. I love history and I could let myself get buried in here for hours. I wish i had the time. Great Blog and photos and a very wise daughter.

    ReplyDelete