Tuesday 12 June 2012

Tanker ELEVIT



I thought our drive along the St. Lawrence River today was going to be a total bust. True, though what some might think that they're everywhere here in Canada, it was pretty neat to catch a moose crossing a field east of Iroquois, but it was boats I was looking for and on this drizzly day I was about to high-tail it back to Ottawa when I came across the upbound oil/chemical tanker ELEVIT near Upper Canada Village east of Morrisburg, Ontario. That section of the River is quite wide and the fairly new tanker was making good time when I caught her from the Upper Canada Marina, which is a pretty good vantage point.

The 472.5' ELEVIT was built this year at Turkter Shipyards, in Istanbul, Turkey so I presume this is her first trip into the Great Lakes. She flies the flag of Turkey and her home port is also Istanbul. The ELEVIT  is double-hulled and has been strengthened to operate in ice conditions.


The observation area at Iroquois Lock was great place to catch her much slower approach and then passage through the lock. Check it out sometime and another one of my pics of her at (https://photos.marinetraffic.com/ais/showphoto.aspx?photoid=840727&size=full). or not. c);-b



No comments:

Post a Comment